lauren spitler

who.what.ren

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Music of Frozen | Disney Happiness Project


Well helloooo there! Nice to see you mid-week!

With my train trip delaying my Week 4 post, this post was delayed only slightly, but don’t worry folks! We will be back on track this weekend!

Speaking of my train trip, since it took place over the course of two weeks, this post was somewhat inspired by it as well. If you have no idea what I’m talking about as far as my train trip, check out last week’s post! Sometimes when I would be cleaning a train car, and I was able to go into my own world while working, I would listen to the music on my phone! I remember when I was vacuuming one of the lounge areas, “Let it Go” from Frozen (in case you’re unfamiliar with the cultural phenomenon that has taken over the planet and infused its way into everything at Walt Disney World) came on.

Cleaning is much more enjoyable when you can lip-sync to the power ballad that is “Let it Go,” let me just tell you!

When I came home, and relaxed back into life with a television, commercials for the Frozen Sing-Along DVD frequently played, and I have found myself singing along to whatever snippet of a song they would preview.

I’ve come to the realization that I have yet to be sick of the music of Frozen. The movie came out ALMOST one year ago! (Tomorrow marks one year if we’re going to get technical). That is CRAZY! I feel like it has been out much longer than that!

Maybe it is because I worked down at Walt Disney World following its release and watched its overwhelming presence come to be, but it seems like it has to have been out longer than just one year.

Now, everyone has his or her opinions about Frozen. It seems that the majority of opinions are either strongly in favor of it, or are fed up with it all and completely over it. I will say that I have a friend who has yet to see it, and has managed to stay completely out of the loop on the story, and characters, and such, and I think she deserves an award for that accomplishment!

I have been a fan of Frozen since I saw it in theaters last year. I think it is a well-made movie with a great cast, and an inspiring story that has ridiculously catchy music. As someone who struggles with depressive spells myself, it was encouraging to see a character presented that I felt I could relate to in that sense. Lyrics like “I’m never going back, the past is in the past” from “Let it Go,” and “Say goodbye to the pain of the past, we don’t have to feel it anymore” from “Love is an Open Door” were empowering! They still are! I still find myself bopping my head along to the soundtrack as a whole, as if the movie just came out and the music was just introduced to us all. I mean there is a reason this piece of work has won awards… it’s good.

I think back on all the times Nicolette and I sang along and gave it our all to belt out the movie’s anthems and do them justice while driving in the car. I remember when Nic, Jordan, and I waited nearly 3 hours to meet Anna and Elsa in EPCOT’s Norway pavilion before they were moved to Magic Kingdom with a FastPass+ queue. Pictures from our meeting can be seen in this old post. Jordan and I went to the Sing-Along show at Disney's Hollywood Studios, which was the strangest cult-like, yet greatest feelings in the world because everyone was united singing these songs! If you really love the music like I do, and are up for it, buy and sing to the Karaoke CD. You can ask Nicolette, but I will tell you, it was one of, if not, the most embarrassing and humbling experiences of my life. It is not that easy!! At least, it wasn’t for me… if you can just rock it out, well then, power to you!

I won’t get into all of my thoughts on the movie’s current presence in the theme parks, but I will say it has become quite much. A lot of treasured things in the parks have been Frozen-fied. I believe my home park of DAK, has yet to be touched in that sense, but Anna and Elsa have made their way into the other three parks of WDW, and there is no denying they’ve arrived, and taken up residence indefinitely. I’m not anti-Frozen, don’t get me wrong! I just wrote a post about how I’m still loving it and celebrating its musical aspect on a regular basis! I’m just ready to see it scaled back a bit to be on a similar level to other works.

There is so much I could say about this topic! I'm just trying to keep this as a somewhat guided post (As all of my posts clearly are! Haha jokes!). For now though, I’m going to continue to shuffle through the songs when I drive around, and I’ll continue to fully sing out with the commercials and music videos on Disney Channel (yup… I watch Disney Channel), and I’ll embrace every moment of it, because it makes me happy. The music is so positive for me, and I can smile along and appreciate its power and influence still. I don’t see anything wrong with that!

Have you seen Frozen? What is your favorite song off the album?
AND... Happy Thanksgiving everybody! What are you thankful for this year? If you say, Disney's Frozen, then WOAH this post was well-timed for you :)

Let's just pretend there is a white background in this picture! Okay, thanks!

x Lauren

I'm just going to leave a few things here for those of you who stay until the end of the post!

Love this so much! I pretend I can sing it, but in actuality, 
I am just saying random vowel sounds in a somewhat chanting manner.

When it comes to the physical cold of winter, 
this kid knows what's up. Winter in the Midwest is 
BRUTAL. Help us out, Elsa!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg  photo s_10.jpg